Monday, October 28, 2013

Garden Journal - Vegetable harvest

As much as I enjoyed the rain forest and beautiful flowers in Costa Rica, it was nice to come home and be in my own surroundings. When we came home, we were treated with a bounty of fresh vegetables from my kitchen garden. Since then, we have been indulging in comfort food (vegetarian curries).

My kitchen garden is still prolific and producing gorgeous vegetables through the fall.



Our bitter melon is going stronger than ever, so luscious and green (thanks to our homemade compost). Bitter melon is known for having many health benefits.




Ripened bitter melon on the vein. I am reluctant to waste even a single thing from my kitchen garden. These seeds will be saved, dried and used for my next years garden. The rest will be added to vegetable stews.


 Ivy gourd vine is an invasive  tropical vine that produces small fruit and resembles a baby water melon. It is also known as tindora (in Hindi) and donda kaya (in Telugu). It is my favorite vegetable to stir fry and to make chutneys with.


Doesn't it look like a baby watermelon? Ivy gourd is rich in beta-carotene.



Kale is a very popular vegetable right now. I use tender kale in stir fry's, smoothies, soups, and salads


In case you are wondering why I am having this many tomatoes in the fall, it's because my original tomato plants are way past their fruiting season, which have been removed and discarded. When I added homemade compost to the garden in the Spring, these tomato seedlings sprouted up unexpectedly. Instead of removing them, I let them grow. Now they are producing the tastiest tomatoes.


Chilies have slow down considerably, but I am still getting few for day to day cooking. 


Eggplants 


I brought the harvested basket into the kitchen and left it on the kitchen table as an edible centerpiece, which inspired me to create many family meals for the next few days.





For more memorable centerpieces, tablescapes, and recipes (including vegetarian, gluten free and vegan recipes), please check out my books, Entertaining From an Ethnic Indian Kitchen and Trader Joe's Simply

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this looks amazing. Such a fabulous harvest. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. The basket displaying the fruits of your labour is simply beautiful! What a wonderful garden you have.

    ReplyDelete